about chirp internet
Chirp Internet ('Chirp') produce high quality, low-cost and low-maintenance web sites. We deliver custom-built websites that you can easily maintain yourself as our clients can testify. We specialise in accessiblity, usability and search engine optimisation.
If you are looking for a company that treats you as an equal, speaks a language you understand and cares about the success of your website then you've come to the right place and we look forward to working with you.
- H2O Taxis - affordable Sydney Harbour water taxis
- Backyard Coffee Roasters - Micro coffee roasters in the Blue Mountains
- Charlotte Pass Ski Resort - Ski the Pass
- Ronin Films - educational DVD sales
- Nourished Life - Natural & Organic Discoveries
- Sequins & Sand - Resortwear for busy women
- Erasmus Büchercafe - Bücher aus und über Siebenbürgen
- Gday Travel - Enjoy the Australian travel experience
- Unofficial Tourist Guide for Sibiu, Romania
- Canberra & Region Bed and Breakfast Network
- Gday Pubs - Proud of our Pubs
- Australian Rugby Choir - fellowship through song
- Newspapers.com.au - guide to Australian newspapers
- Deutsche Wirtschaftsclub Siebenbürgen (DWS)
- National Farmers' Federation (NFF) - the voice of Australian farmers
- European Association for Aviation Psychology (EAAP)
- Deutschsprachiger Wirtschaftsclub Nordtransilvanien (DWNT)
- Australian Aviation Psychology Association (AAvPA)
- Deutschsprachiger Wirtschaftsclub Banat (DWC)
Our development team
While our web development team is now based in Sibiu, Romania we continue to work with partners in Australia and elsewhere, particularly for graphic design, so we can provide complete service to our clients:
- Australia Gday - web design
- Design One Solutions - graphic design
- Consec - conference secretariat
- Hall Studio (Bill Pearson + Associates) - graphic design
- Studio Outside - graphic design
- Don Ciuchete - graphic design
- EarthLink Cloud - dedicated server
- Linode - VPS hosting
- IntoVPS - VPS hosting
- Mammoth Networks - VPS hosting
- Amazon S3 - cloud storage and backups
- CloudFlare - CDN
A short history of Chirp
Chirp has been managed by Duncan Crombie since it's inception and he has been the sole owner/director of the company since early 2000. Duncan has been programming for more than 25 years, built his first website in 1995 and has worked extensively in database design and development.
1997-2002 - Canberra, Australia
Chirp Web Design was founded in 1997 by a group of friends and recent graduates from the Australian National University. The business gradually expanded taking on government contracts and employing a number of graphic designers and programmers.
2003-2007 - Amsterdam, The Netherlands
The beauty of working in a pure Internet environment is that location is no longer a barrier. Having downsized the business and outsourced graphic design it became clear that we could offer an equivalent service to our clients without the overhead of an office.
By 2003 we were already working for clients in all states of Australia, as well as various locations in the United States and Europe, many of whom we had never met or even spoken with outside of email. The move to Europe was a risk, but it has paid as most of our clients have stuck with us.
2008-2013 - Sibiu, Romania
With the accession of Romania to the European Union in 2007 and it's combination of olde-worlde charm, pristine landscapes and high-tech Internet infrastructure, we just couldn't resist a new challenge.
Sibiu is a beautiful city in the heart of Transylvania surrounded by farmland, forest and snow-capped mountains and we encourage anyone with the opportunity to drop by and say g'day.